Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Live from the AAOS

I am Live from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons annual convention. Bringing in about 30,000 people, this is the largest convention to come to New Orleans since Katrina. It seemed like a pretty big deal, so obviously I wanted to gate-crash. Some observations:

1) There is not very much parity between men and women in this field. I would say the breakdown between men and women at this convention is approximately 70/30. I am so proud of the few women I do see that I want to go up to them and say, "You go girl!" but that would be creepy and uncomfortable.

2) According to a woman I just met, the exhibits here are really, really, really expensive and elaborate. I obviously am determined to get into the halls, but I am unsure of how I might go about doing that as they are very strict about having badges. She mentioned that she might be able to give me an extra badge...so let's keep our fingers crossed.

3) Everyone in here is wearing suits, and I am wearing jeans and carrying a backpack. Obviously I stick out like a sore thumb. There are *some* doctors here who have decided to eschew the normal professional dress protocol, and are rocking leather jackets/etc. These are obviously the more "badass" orthopedic surgeons. I obviously wish to befriend them.

4) I was sort of expecting all of the orthopedic surgeons to look like this:

For those of you who must obviously live under a rock, that is none other than Dr. Jack Shephard, from LOST. When I think about my dream future husband, I imagine him to look and act exactly like Dr. Shephard. But...the doctors at this convention look nothing like him. I am very disappointed.

5) You know what's a really fun game to pay while here? Go to a crowded hallway, and say the word "MALPRACTICE" at a really high volume. This one guy almost fell over himself trying to run away from me.

No comments: