Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Saints Draft Picks

Let's pretend like Corry Rush of the NFL stopped being a jerk, acknowledged his mistake in rejecting my application for press credentials, and let me attend the NFL Combine. Which football players do I like? Who would I want to interview? Who do I want the Saints to pick in the draft? Let's see, shall we?

Please note:
my picks are based on a quasi scientific system of searching the participants by top ranked school or position, looking at their pictures, scanning for them on youtube, doing some old fashioned google searching, and then making a determination. Here are my selections, ranked in order of how much I want the Saints to pick them.

1. Myron Rolle : Safety, FSU and Oxford

You read that correctly - Oxford. Myron Rolle is a Rhodes Scholar. Myron was a top prospect in the 2009 draft, but he gave it up to go to Oxford and study medical anthropology. In the backwards and nonsensical world of the NFL, this makes him unattractive to teams. They think he's "not committed to football." WTF?? HE IS A F-ING RHODES SCHOLAR. To me? This should make him the number 1 overall draft pick. Furthermore, I read that he was training 5hours a day, traveling to London to use some pro-sports complex, just to get ready for the 2010 draft. So, yeah, I would say he is committed to the sport. Fun fact: his brother went to Oxford with him just to help him train. Adorable. By the way...did I mention that HE IS A RHODES SCHOLAR?

2. Dexter Davis: Defensive Tackle, Arizona State.

Look how happy Dexter looks! He just looks like a happy go lucky guy, happy about life. His facebook picture is of him in his cap and gown. Many football players forgo their senior year to make $$$ in the NFL, so I really respect a guy who sticks it out and graduates. These two aspects have indicated to me that his values seem to be in the right place. But don't let his smiley face fool you...this man is a MENACE on the field. I watched some of his highlights on youtube. WHAT A BEAST. Some other telling statistics: he started all 50 games of his college career. I feel like that single fact alone should indicate that he is NFL ready. How many "top rated" people in the draft this year are injured? Not Dexter. He is like the terminator. Another good statistic? He clocked in more than 30 career sacks.

3. Selvish Capers:
Offensive Line, West Virginia

This guy is good people. There are only a couple of things you need to know about Selvish: 1) He is from New Orleans. 2) The Saints are his favorite team. 3) He is a part-time barber, and cuts his fellow team-mates hair. He could help Tracy Porter with his designs! He also said that when he retires from the NFL, his dream is to open up his own barber shop. Too cute. 4) He is 6'5, 295lbs. In short, he is a beast.

4. Sean Weatherspoon:
Linebacker, Missouri

This name has been bandied about as a potential first round pick for the Saints, so I would be remiss if I didn't include him on my list. Wouldn't want Spawn of Satan Corry Rush thinking I don't know my football. I won't go into the physical aspects that make him a good player. What I will say is that I think he might be able to add a little levity to the locker-room. Every draft class needs a leader - a mascot of sorts - and maybe "The Spoon" could be that for us. Plus he can dance!

Anyone else catch him doing the "Carlton Banks" around the 20second mark?

5. Mike McLaughlin: Linebacker, Boston College

I'm not going to lie - he is on this list because I find him attractive. But more than his attractiveness, he seems like a really genuine guy. He comes from pro football stock - his dad played in the USFL, and his uncle played for the Packers and the Giants. In this Boston Globe article I read about him, he talked about his teammate's battle with cancer, and how it inspired and motivated him. He also admitted that watching a special on this same teammate brought him to tears. Mike McLaughlin is the total package. Of course, as I said before - the qualities I look for in future pro-football players (kindness, being able to cry in public) are typically not things GMs and Head Coaches look for in football players. The NFL didn't even include a bio for him on their "NFL Combine Scouting" website. I think this means we might be able to get him for a steal -- maybe he won't be drafted, and we could sign him later, Pierre Thomas Style? Whatever the case may be, I will follow whichever team signs him, and cheer for them (after the Saints, obvi). And maybe light-heartedly stalk him, of course.

6. Jermaine Cunningham: Defensive End, Florida

This guy just looks like a really good football player. His best game his sophomore year to LSU, where he had 17 tackles. That year LSU went to the National Championship game. The best part? After that game, he didn't want to conduct any interviews. His former high school coach says that he is "shy." Again - this is a quality I look for in a potential football player. We don't need any more showboats. We already have Reggie Bush.

6 comments:

Amy Cavanaugh said...

The second one is cute. But are they like 18 years old and that's creepy?

I love the picture you picked of the Rhodes Scholar.

Lil Layne said...

They are like 22/23 - which makes it marginally less creepy.

Phil said...

All fine except for the shitty misery player. Seriously, take this from someone who follows and knows Big12 football, Weatherspork is not all that. A lot of talk, but not much else. You would be better off with Phillip Dillard, LB Neb. Was a beast in the LB spot this year, one of the hardest hitters and was close to leading the team in tackles. Was a major part of NU having a helluva defense along with my boy Suh. The Saints have no shot at him, but he'll most likely go no. 1. A long shot either, but would make a great FS, is Matt O'Hanlon, also from NU. Had a 3 INT game against OU that sealed the win, and also big INT's against Ariz. in the Holiday Bowl. Took down Colt McCoy like a missile in the Big 12 Champ game also. Would be a great sleeper pick. Anyway, a bit biased I know, but good list nonetheless.

Lil Layne said...

But do the Nebraska players have youtube videos of themselves dancing to the mid-90s-one-hit-wonder song, "My Boo" ?

Lenore said...

Dexter looks like he has supple knees.

deb said...

my vote's for dexter!