Thursday, March 04, 2010

Live from Central Perk

Dear Readers - I am live from Central Perk...a starbucks located somewhere in Metro Atlanta where I can occasionally blog.

Why do I call it Central Perk? Well, for one, everyone here knows my name! And by "name" I obviously mean, "overworked law student." How cute - they think I am working as I type furiously into my laptop. If only they knew that I was watching videos of Drew and Baylen Brees on loop.

But the other reason I call this place "Central Perk" is that there are so many regulars here that I feel like it's my haunt. First, you have the 180yr old woman who brings her own space heater that she plugs in under her table. Then there is guy who wears leather loafers, no socks, and has floppy hair. He always orders 2 venti macchiatos that he then proceeds to double fist. Finally, you have the various and sundry old-man lawyers who seemingly come to this starbucks to work. They LOVE to talk to law students, passing out their business cards like candy at Halloween. My friend once commented that their willingness to pass out their business card might indicate a less than stellar law practice, but..let's be honest here: wouldn't the fact that their office is a STARBUCKS be the first red flag that things aren't going well?

Everyone at this Starbucks appears to have a purpose for being here -- I appreciate that. One time I came in here and this married couple came to starbucks specifically with the purpose of having a marital fight. Why would you leave your house, drive to starbucks, spend money, only to have a fight which would probably be better had IN YOUR LIVING ROOM? Then again - I guess you could maybe say the same thing about coming to a starbucks to blog.

No comments: