Monday, August 10, 2009

Closing Statements

Well, folks. The Closing statements have come and gone. DA Vampire Nails was the first up, giving a pretty dramatic statement, pacing about, pointing her finger at C-Murder. She implored to jury to act as "13 additional witnesses" and find C-Murder guilty. She also said that all of the defense witnesses (who were presented to the jury via tape-recordings) were all not credible, and that there were not very many eyewitnesses because C-Murder and his calliope crew were out there threatening anyone who talked. OH - before I forget -- it also (sort of) came out that this friend of C-Murder (the "wango" i spoke of earlier) had been convicted of threatening another witness who later ID'd C-Murder. At least this was what I deduced from all the hints and innuendos the prosecution and defense were using.

Vampire Nails, I have to say, was pretty persuasive. I think the best thing she said was "if Steve Thomas were here today, he'd be 23. He'd thank you. He'd want you to know C-Murder isn't his hero anymore. The last time he looked up to him was Jan. 12, 2002. And the last time he looked up to him, he shot him." Good imagery for the jury to take back with them when they deliberate, methinks.

Up next was Mr. Magoo, who looked absolutely scattered. He had 3 different piles of documents he kept picking up and reading, all in no logical order. His cross had no logical beginning, middle or end, it was sort of like he had documents with some ideas on each page, he threw all the documents to the ground, picked them back up in no order, and decided to read them off like that. In my opinion, he didn't highlight the lack of physical evidence enough, he didn't emphasize reasonable doubt enough. I actually have no take-away from the statement because whatever message or theme he had was muddled by the delivery and organization.

After Mr. Magoo did his statement, the first chair DA (we'll call him "American Flag Pin Guy") got up and did his song and dance. He tried to be persuasive through aggressively loud talking, but I didn't find him as persuasive as DA vampire-nails. His statement seemed random, and much like a first-year law student during their oral argument competition, when he was told he had 2 minutes left, he was no where near finished what he was going to say.

The audience was PACKED for the affair. I was smushed all the way at the end of the row next to every single defense attorney in jefferson parish. There was standing room only, and when I walked out, there were like 40 people all standing outside, waiting for a chance to get into the room - sort of like people do in NYC to see Saturday Night Live. Kind of sad, though, that New Orleans' version of SNL are murder/corruption trials.

Also, something I found odd...during the statements, C-Murder's family were chomping down on candy. All I could hear were the sounds of cellophane wrappers being opened. MAYBE hold out on the now-or-laters until your Son's murder trial is on break?? That might seem like a good idea to me, but what do I know?

C-Murders father has these pattern shirts which bear a pattern composed solely of the inscription "P Miller." I can't believe it took me all week to finally notice this. He has been wearing them every day, but in different colors. I wonder if I could order myself one if the price is right.

Judge Blagojovich hair had the distinct look of someone who had a little too much fun over the weekend -- hair was totally messed up, he was chugging vitamin waters, and chomping down on cheez-its. I may be jumping to totally inappropriate conclusions...but..at least to me, "cheez-its + vitamin water = hangover." He also appears to not be the most engaging judge on the face of the earth. He denies EVERYTHING, and when he does, he says things like "for uh...the reasons that they said."

No comments: