Friday, December 18, 2009

My Mother's "Let's Get You Married" switch has turned on

So - I was hoping that I could avoid the "single daughters must be set up by their mothers" trap...but...WRONG. Now that Lil Mom feels fairly confident that I will not be dropping out of law school, she has turned herself to a loftier goal: getting me married.

Last night, I attended a lessons and carols service at St. George's church in support of Lil God-Brother. As I was rolling out, my mom catches a glimpse at my face, recoils in horror, and says, "Go put on some makeup!" The following conversation ensued.

L: Why?? I am just going to this elementary school church service...
M: You never know who you are going to meet you know!
L: At an elementary school church service? Really?
M: Well you know..someone might have an older brother or something
L: ...who is a junior in high school. You do realize I am almost 26, right?
M: Or maybe a really nice widower or something.
L: Are you kidding me with this?
M: Is it so wrong for a mother to wish her daughter to have a fun social life, light fun dating social life?
L:...with a widower??
M: You are hateful.

So..I guess my mom thinks it would be fun to casually date a widower? And one who has an elementary-to-middle school aged child? Yeah nothing says "no baggage" like a deceased spouse and children.

She also likes to ask me what :::enter name of any male she and I know in common::: is up to. Usually this is how such a conversation goes:

M: What ever happened to :::enter name here:::?
L: I don't know. Last I checked he was playing in the sandbox..but that was when we were both 5 and I haven't seen him since.
M: You are hateful.

Oh boy. It's going to be a long xmas break.

5 comments:

Alina said...

Isn't there a lovely heroine in a classic novel who marries a widower or an almost widower? Jane Eyre et al? They fared well...

metrygurl said...

I can so see this conversation going on between you and your mom. Too funny!!

Alina said...

Your Mom is so right on!! I am watching "The Holiday" and guess who Cameron Diaz's character meets right after a heartbreak? YES! A HOT WIDOWER! The one and only Jude Law... So LL you may want to lurk and stalk some funeral parlors...

metrygurl said...

Good point Alina, I've seen that movie. Layne you need to get yourself all dolled up and head out to the local funeral parlor.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.