Sunday, February 07, 2010

The Importance of a Good Pre-Game Chant

Football is all about good motivation. And what motivates a football team right before the set off into battle? A good pre-game chant. Some of the best below.

There are a couple of tactics people take in their pre-game chant creation. I will discuss 4 such examples below.

The "giving your players non-verbal clues that should you lose the game, you will have a full-on fetal position nervous breakdown" chant

Voice cracking...head shaking...all the tell-tale signs of someone who is fighting with every ounce of his might to avoid the stream of tears. The Miami Hurricanes went on to lose the game 7-10 against FSU.

The "using a word in your chant, repeatedly, that your players might find curious" routine

To me - "doggone" does not belong in football. I get it though -- Brian Dawkins is an 8 time Pro Bowler, so obviously he has some skills. I wonder if this fired people up? He's got the delivery, tone and intensity spot on...but the "doggone" is just THROWING ME OFF. Is this a word people in Philly use with regularity?

The "this guy is batshit crazy and if we don't win this game he might come after me and my family" pre-game routine


That is one scary mothafucka right there. I would not mess with him. Did you hear his last scream?? He sounded like a velociraptor. Also, how is a trainer assigned to the task of slapping a player across the face? Do you think there is an email sent around on friday night to all the staff that is basically like, "Okay - John had to do it last week, so who is going to step up and slap Henderson on Sunday. Come on guys...please someone volunteer - if not, we're going to have to go to a lottery system..."

The chant that has SO OBVIOUSLY been practiced


Look, I'm a former Glee Clubber (before it was made cool by the hit tv series "Glee"). I appreciate coordination. I appreciate it when people sing on tune. I appreciate rhythm. So I love this chant. The "dogs in the house" bit with the barking is a bit...caveman-esque...but I suppose that having professional football players end a song with harmony is just asking too much.

The World's Greatest Pre-Game Chant Ever

Now really...do you expect me to critique this chant?? I love it. I love Drew Brees. Drew Brees can do no wrong. Drew Brees is a Saint. I want Drew Brees to stand by my bed every morning when I want to hit snooze again, and yell "SMELL GREATNESS - FINISH STRONG" to induce me to get out of bed in the morning.

No comments: