Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Missed Connections

I've always been a fan of the Craigslist Missed Connections. In that spirit, i've decided to have my own recurring "Missed Connections" for all the various and sundry missed connections I have.

Date: Christmas Break 2002
Location: Bradley Airport (CT)
You: A Senior at Yale, reading Gore Vidal from MS. Around 6'3

We were seated next to eachother on a flight home. Started making small talk about stereotypes people have about the south, history, and college. I made a comment about missing my connection to New Orleans, and you said, "you can always come home with me to Mississippi," in a southern drawl. I swooned. Eventually, it was discovered that I had sat in the wrong seat, and had to move. You also discovered that I *wasn't* reading Gore Vidal, and was instead reading Cosmo. Despite all of that, I think we could have been something.

Date: JYA 2005
Location: Edinburgh
You: A scottish law student, very tall, details hazy due to alcohol

We met at a place called "Establishment" on 50p night. I was probably close to blackout drunk, but I do remember you were moderately attractive, and smart. I will remember you as the *classiest* person I ever "met" on 50pence night.

Date: Fall of 2006
Location: Mail Room of Random Law Firm
You: A Mail Room Clerk named "Gary Barry"

This isn't a missed connection, per se. You actually barred the door of the Mail Room when I went to your law firm to deliver some papers by hand. You forced me to take your number on a routing slip --- Gary Barry" was scrawled in Serial Killer print. I always wondered what happened to you, not because I was intrigued, but because I always wondered if you saw the irony of your alliterative name.

Date: Last Week
Location: 6 Train
You: Awkward Male who I had seen purchasing a "Meal for One" at a local deli on the UES.

I think you are the male version of me -- except I think I saw you giving money to a mariachi band, and I turned up the Snoop Dogg. Every time I see you, you are alone. Why don't you take that money you gave to the homeless musicians and put it towards a date with me?

1 comment:

Amy Cavanaugh said...

Date: March 2005
Location: Prague
You: NYU Student. Dark hair.

I still want to know how you managed to sit down at our table. I feel like we never got your story, like we did with the Canadians and the drug-dealers. Let's discuss over fried cheese paid for with stolen money.


Date: March 2006
Location: London
You: Named Pablo. All else unclear.

I threw you up against the wall after my friend told me to "take care of you." It was hot. Let's repeat.


Date: November 2007
Location: Dominican Republic
You: Tall, dark, handsome, Greek.

You were the shining star of Santo Domingo. Fixing poor children's teeth is admirable. I'm Greek, you're Greek, how could this not work?