Sunday, November 04, 2007

What do women want?

According to a cross section of people I have just spoken to, women want the following:


Female, Age 23, Student/Blogger:
"I want an art collector, who is a gourmet chef, plays tennis, doesn't work a lot, and wants to live abroad at some point. That's all."

Female, Age 23, Corporate Legal Assistant:
"I want a man who has a job, who will let me quit my job if I want to, who wants to spoon, holds my hand in public, is tall, and has a sense of humor. I think that's it."

Female, Age 23, Public School Teacher:
"I want someone who can make me laugh and likes downtime."

Female, Age 14, 8th Grade Student:
"Layne, why are you asking me this question? That's kind of creepy. I'm going to tell Mom."

As you can see, I think expectations for potential mates sometimes runs the gamut. I wonder how much expectations are tied to geographic areas? Before I lived in New York, I would have answered the above question as, "someone who went to a really good college, has a good job, is taller than me, has brown hair, is funny/makes me laugh, and in turn laughs at everything I say. Oh, and enjoys things like hunting or fishing, and orders beer at a bar", and I would have thought that a completely realistic answer. But I just asked myself this same question, and my expectations have now become, "Graduated from college and has direct deposit". And yet, this is apparently very difficult for me to find. Go figure.

1 comment:

Amy Cavanaugh said...

Wow I sound like I'm hard to please. Maybe this is why I haven't been on a date since July.